Welcome to back to school season! It came back around so fast, like literally Summer has flown by. Either way, it’s time to get back into a routine, and restore order for the upcoming school year. This is going to be a serious transition, as most most students are returning back to the classroom for the first time since March 2020. This can be a scary thing, but we’re here to help alleviate any anxiety you and your children may have.
- Make Lunch Together— bonding exercises help ease any anxiety, while having some fun. This could also be a way to help your child gain some independence by taking the lead. Let them make their own lunch and you just help (as long as it isn’t all snacks, unless they are all extremely healthy of course).
- Make It A Game — Getting new school supplies is always a fun time. To make it even better, try giving your kids a scavenger hunt to find their new supplies! This can be a way to introduce them to what they’ll be learning, who their teachers are, etc!
- Make a Good Breakfast — We all know breakfast is the most important meal of the day. This is another moment you can have some fun, while serving up a nutritious way to start the day. Make fun faces with the fruit and toast, make some pancakes in the shape of their initials or the grade they are about to enter. This is sure to ease anxiety, and a great conversation starter to see how your child(ren) feel about returning to school.
- Make A Vision Board— There’s this misconception that vision boards are only for adults. This is an amazing activity to do with your kids the night before school starts. It helps relax those first day of school jitters. This is also a way to teach your children about manifesting positive results throughout the school year. It’s going to be a great moment at the end of the school year to see what goals they’ve accomplished. It could also be the push in the middle of the year that they need to keep going.
- Make Memories — This one is an old school suggestion. First we start with making a good ole home video. Now your kids may be a little camera shy, but download an app that turns the videos into VHS format, and let them know this is how your videos used to look when you were going to school. Another oldie but goodie is measuring how tall they are when school first starts and at the end of the year. We’re pretty sure they’ll be impressed with their growth! Lastly, let them pick out their first day of school outfit. If your kids wear uniforms, find a way to help them make it their own
All in all, the goal is to not only help your children relax for the first day of school, but create bonding moments for the family. After all, this last school year was virtual, so adjusting to being in-person is going to look a little different this year. We want the children to be as comfortable as possible, and you too parents!